The Rebelution

TheRebelution.com: The Modesty Survey

Friday, June 8, 2012

Who are You?

For the past week or so, I have been thinking about relationships between people. We go throughout our day, chatting with folks whether it be online, a few minutes here and there in class, or on the phone. Some of these people you may not really know such as your classmates but others , such as your parents or siblings, you know very well. Why is this? Why do you know some people better than others? It may be obvious since you live and breathe your family. Let’s say, though, that your family is just like anyone of your classmates, however. The only difference between the classmates and your family is that your siblings and parents have written autobiographies of their lives up until certain points in their lives. You read these biographies to get a feel for their lives, their hurt, love, humor, eating habits, dislikes and likes, and so much more. Yet, you never really sat down and chatted with them since you are “too busy.” You are always making an excuse when they ask you to chat with them.
Does this sound familiar? If it does you know exactly what I am talking about. We as Christians put God off. Prayer is just as important as talking to your family. No, it is far more important since this is our Heavenly Father. Yes, we read and read and read the Bible, we search commentaries, scripture, books on certain passages of the Bible to know God and yet we really do not know Him personally. Why? Because we think reading about Him is enough. We don’t think prayer is important. Prayer is VERY important if not the MOST important part of the relationship with God! If you don’t talk to God, how in the world do you think you will see His handiwork? Do you think it will appear out of the sky and have a big sign that says, “God is at work here in your life right now.” NO! There is, yet again, no magical formula to make you have a better walk with Him. Just as the athletes work hard, we must work hard to accomplish our goal in life as well. Part of that goal is to know Christ, to know God.
Be honest with yourself. When was the last time you spent AT LEAST 15 minutes in prayer? Do I dare ask if you spent more than 30 minutes in prayer more than once? I know for myself that I do not pray that much and when I do, sadly I say that I don’t have time to pray all that much. Granted, I try to pray throughout the day and I do not believe that this is wrong since it is important to have short accounts with the Lord. However, it is also good to have long conversations with the Lord. How much time do you spend talking online? On Facebook? Surfing the net? Watching television or playing a video game? My Mom always told me that the time I spend on the computer/playing video games, I have to spend twice that amount outside. WOW! Lots of time outside for me…. : ) Take that time that I would be spending outside to pray or at least part of that time. I promise you, it will make a big difference in your life.
In closing, I pray that you will, as the song says, “take time to be holy.” Seek His face and learn more about Him. I challenge all of you to pray for at least 15 minutes at one time. It is but very little to read about God. Fall down on your knees, worship the Lord in song, cry out to Him in fervent prayer, and have a nice chat with Him. He deserves it and so much more.

2 comments: